Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't create any podcasts to offer up for public consumption here. I did have a good time browsing the podcasts on the traning site, though. The Sirsi podcasts were an especially good find.
Every week I see links to other libraries that are using twitter or RSS or podcasts, and I think, "Why aren't we doing that? Let's do that. Let's do that RIGHT NOW." And yes, I understand why the county wouldn't want a renegade library assistant (ahem) to run rampant creating wacky podcasts and posting them on the library's website, but we should really get in the game here. Podcasts could be a great tool for distance book talking or even for story times. I'm curious how the story time issue would pan out. Would the texts have to be in the public domain? The artwork as well? My suspicion is yes, but I haven't done the necessary digging to confirm yet. Would patrons be interested in taking a computer class on making podcasts? I don't know, but I bet some probably would.
Even if we're not ready to produce podcasts of our own yet, it seems like we should be compiling information about them for our patrons. There's some really good stuff out there. In the past, I've listented to some of Yale's podcasts through itunes. Why do I do that? Maybe it has something to do with being an ubernerd. And, oh yeah, FREE YALE EDUCATION. Because, let me tell you, when I went there, IT WAS NOT FREE. And frankly, Yale's not exactly leading the pack when it comes to posting their courses online. MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, and Harvard all have more substantive programs on itunes U. There are podcasts out there for so many interest groups, and I think we need to get the word out.
March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment