I set up an account on Google reader a couple weeks ago, and, like all things in googleland, it's incredibly well designed. I like how easy it is to navigate. I like all of the built in short cuts. I like how fast it is to read the aggregated information. But I hate the loss of design. For reading news, it doesn't really bother me. But for reading blogs, I'd rather just go to the site. Bloggers communicate a lot about themselves and their blogs through their site design, and too much is lost in Google reader. I guess I also don't follow enough blogs at this point to make feeds necessary. Maybe in the future, when I'm trapped in M.T. Anderson's Feed alterna-universe I'll see the light.
And, yes, we should develop RSS feeds for the library. For event reminders especially I think they would be great. But there are also opportunities to let patrons know what new titles we're getting in (new e-audio books anyone?), when closings will occur, and all that jazz.
March 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment