March 12, 2009

Week 4: Let there be Twitter

Ok, so it's a little spooky that Unshelved is doing a comic strip series on Twitter this week. I guess our timing is just that good.

I don't use Twitter right now. I find out what kind of soup my friends are eating and all that sort of earth shattering news from status updates on Facebook. As for real news, I think RSS feeds are current enough for me.

I was skeptical at first about how useful Twitter would be for the library, but this blog post from David Lee King was pretty convincing in demonstrating Twitter's relevance. During a library board meeting, King posted tweets regarding descisions that the board members were making, including a decision to restrict access to four books in the library's collection. By the end of the meeting, DLK's tweet series was the "7th hottest trend" on Twitter, meaning that A LOT of people were suddenly aware of decisions being made in a very small meeting. And a lot of attention was being paid to what was going on at the library. And that's pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment