April 11, 2009

POW POW! Gaming at the Library

I hadn't visited the time suck that is addictinggames.com in years. Thanks a lot, Web 2.0 committee. Thankfully, the site is a lot less compelling when I'm not procrastinating from writing a paper about Chaucer or game theory or what have you. I did feel inspired to revisit snood for old times' sake, and it's as great as ever.

When I first stopped teaching English, one of my friends sent me a "virtual librarian" game that was so bad it almost made me want to reconsider my new career path. But I decided to give librarianship the benefit of the doubt anyway.

I didn't check out any of the Big Time gaming sites mentioned on the training blog, but rumor has it that some of my MLS classes will be held in SecondLife, so I may find myself on there eventually.

As for gaming in the libraries? Seems like a good way to bring teens into the library. Have we done any computer game nights for teens? I know we've done DDR and games of that ilk.

If we're feeling adventurous, we could also have meetings in SecondLife. I doubt this will happen, since we've got GoToMeeting now, but it's a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment